[OpenIndiana-discuss] time-slider service and clock adjustments

Timothy Coalson tsc5yc at mst.edu
Mon Nov 5 20:46:27 UTC 2012

So, previously I installed with the wrong timezone, and after fixing the
timezone, I found the time-slider service in maintenance mode, which seemed
to be because it tried to make a snapshot with a name that already existed,
due to the time having been adjusted back by an hour.  I shrugged it off
because the mistake was initially mine.

However, the end of daylight savings time here has caused the same
behavior, and made time-slider stop taking snapshots without making any
noise.  Is this something that has been addressed before?  If not, I will
open a bug, but I thought I would post to the list partly in case this has
caught someone else unaware.

Here is what the end of
/var/svc/log/application-time-slider:default.log says:

Failed to create snapshots for schedule: hourly
Caught RuntimeError exception in snapshot manager thread
Error details:
--------BEGIN ERROR MESSAGE--------
['/usr/bin/pfexec', '/usr/sbin/zfs', 'snapshot', '-r',
'mainpool at zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-11-04-01h07'] failed with exit code 1
cannot create snapshot 'mainpool at zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-11-04-01h07':
dataset already exists
cannot create snapshot
'mainpool/storage at zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-11-04-01h07': dataset already
exists
cannot create snapshot
'mainpool/rpoolbackup at zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-11-04-01h07': dataset
already exists
no snapshots were created

--------END ERROR MESSAGE--------
Snapshot monitor thread exited.
[ Nov  4 01:07:47 Stopping because all processes in service exited. ]
[ Nov  4 01:07:47 Executing stop method (:kill). ]
[ Nov  4 01:07:47 Restarting too quickly, changing state to maintenance. ]

Since it is now past the 1:52 snapshot it took before the backwards time
adjustment, a "sudo svcadm clear time-slider" gets it working again without
complaints.

Tim