[OpenIndiana-discuss] time-slider service and clock adjustments

Oscar del Rio delrio at mie.utoronto.ca
Mon Nov 5 21:40:29 UTC 2012

On 11/ 5/12 03:46 PM, Timothy Coalson wrote:
> So, previously I installed with the wrong timezone, and after fixing the
> timezone, I found the time-slider service in maintenance mode, which seemed
> to be because it tried to make a snapshot with a name that already existed,
> due to the time having been adjusted back by an hour.  I shrugged it off
> because the mistake was initially mine.
>
> However, the end of daylight savings time here has caused the same
> behavior, and made time-slider stop taking snapshots without making any
> noise.  Is this something that has been addressed before?  If not, I will
> open a bug, but I thought I would post to the list partly in case this has
> caught someone else unaware.
>
> Here is what the end of
> /var/svc/log/application-time-slider:default.log says:
>
> Failed to create snapshots for schedule: hourly
> Caught RuntimeError exception in snapshot manager thread

This sounds familiar and I found this old bug report:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/comp.unix.solaris/VAf6v02EQZk/-Mook698kXYJ
"6996354 time-slider fails when daylight saving time ends"

The only other reference to that bug I can find is
https://github.com/bdrewery/time-slider/commit/4ba07f0c289bbb4dff9c4555c9eed1de2c90ffed

"Fix for 6996354 gracefully handle snapshot failure"
with minor changes to
usr/share/time-slider/lib/time_slider/util.py
usr/share/time-slider/lib/time_slider/zfs.py