[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome and the future

Ian Johnson itjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 21:44:48 UTC 2012

I also use OI as my main desktop. I have a few complaints about GNOME 2, but overall it's very nice and I prefer it to Xfce, KDE, and the other environments that are getting the most attention right now. Considering that RHEL and Oracle Solaris also use GNOME 2, it would not reflect badly on OpenIndiana to continue with it for some time.

As far as a future path, my (Arch) Linux machine runs MATE, and I have had no issues with it. Assuming no major porting problems, it would probably not be a risky choice considering that mainstream Linux distributions like Mint are embracing it. I'd personally be fine with a switch to a standalone window manager as the default, but most desktop users probably wouldn't be, and it seems the expectation for enterprise-grade Unixes for some time has included a full-scale desktop environment, whether the OS is targeted at desktop use or not.