[OpenIndiana-discuss] [discuss] Anyone use gcj?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Nov 13 00:51:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Peter Tribble wrote:

> Just as a question: does anyone actually use gcj?
>
> I don't think I ever have, at least.
>
> One reason for the questions is that a gcc4.7.2 build is ~1G in size,
> half that is java support. So if I could just forget about that completely
> that saves an awful lot of space.
>
> (I don't think java is enabled in the gcc on either Solaris or OI, and
> I haven't seen any signs that it's been missed, but I think it's
> worth asking the question.)

I have it enabled in my own private GCC build under Solaris and OI and
it appears to work.  The only purpose was to test Autoconf since I am
not a Java developer but want Autotools to work as well as possible
under Solaris and OI.  For some reason, Autoconf tests want the
Eclipse Java engine as well (to run Java VM code) and I did not quite
get that working right yet (probably a minor config problem).

I would certainly agree that GNU Java is not needed in a standard
build.  It is not included with Ubuntu Linux's GCC.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn