[OpenIndiana-discuss] [discuss] Anyone use gcj?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Nov 13 14:55:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012, Nikola M. wrote:

>> I would certainly agree that GNU Java is not needed in a standard build.
>> It is not included with Ubuntu Linux's GCC.
> Maybe then it should continue to be available in a separate package? Like in
> Ubuntu.

It is not included in OI or OI SFE as far as I am aware so "continue"
is not an accurate description.

> Or gcc without gcj should be made as separate package?
> How it is solved in Solaris11 userland?
>
> I think it is also a question not to diverge with no big reason from possible
> compatibility problems with S11.
> Openindiana is Illumos+patches + Oracle open source consolidations + local OI
> packages + SFE
> as I understand.

Oracle and Solaris are surely aligned to Oracle's Java VM offering and
not GNU Java.  While Java can be compiled it was never really the
intention that Java would be used as a compiled language.

Java programs compiled with GNU Java are quite huge.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn