[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome desktop system commands don't work?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Nov 13 20:00:26 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-13 20:49, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> I did google for this extensively, but only found things that don't
> quite match. So I have a brand-new oi151a7 install with gnome desktop.
> So I click on System => Administration => Users & Groups, expecting to
> get a prompt for password.  In the margin at the bottom of the screen I
> can see 'Starting Users & Groups', followed a few seconds later by...
> nothing?  I have found related complaints where the user is prompted but
> their password is rejected.  I get no prompt at all - it's like I never
> tried.  Not just that command - tried several others off of System, with
> equal (lack of) success.  I'm not that experienced in gnome so this is
> probably something silly, but what?

I think there were reports of GNOME GUI root-password prompts ignoring
the password defined during OS installation (from Live Media), either
if the pass includes certain characters, or always.

Redefining the root password (even to the same text) after booting into
the installed OS solved the issue for those posters. May have to do with
PAM integrations taking place (as is the known case with CIFS-compatible
passwords) or something like that...

HTH,
//Jim Klimov