[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome desktop system commands don't work?

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Tue Nov 13 19:49:00 UTC 2012

I did google for this extensively, but only found things that don't
quite match. So I have a brand-new oi151a7 install with gnome desktop.
So I click on System => Administration => Users & Groups, expecting to
get a prompt for password.  In the margin at the bottom of the screen I
can see 'Starting Users & Groups', followed a few seconds later by...
nothing?  I have found related complaints where the user is prompted but
their password is rejected.  I get no prompt at all - it's like I never
tried.  Not just that command - tried several others off of System, with
equal (lack of) success.  I'm not that experienced in gnome so this is
probably something silly, but what?