[OpenIndiana-discuss] powerd/speedstep configuration

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 10:39:00 UTC 2012

I'm on a laptop with an Intel CPU, and speedstep works to push the CPU
up a lot when needed, however I can't help feeling that it seems very
eager to raise the CPU speed to the top whack, when all I've got open
is Firefox and Thunderbird, not doing anything much.

When I watch the speed using "kstat -m cpu_info -s current_clock_Hz"
it seems to cycle through current_clock_Hz = 2001000000 to
current_clock_Hz = 800000000 over a 20 second period, then it suddenly
shoots back up to 2001000000 and goes through the same cycle again.

when I run prstat at the same time, firefox jumps to 1.2% of the CPU
at about the same point in time, but I wouldn't have thought that that
would justify a sudden ramp in CPU speed.

in /etc/power.conf I currently have:
device-dependency-property removable-media /dev/fb
autopm			default
autoS3			default
cpu-threshold		1s
autoshutdown		30		9:00 9:00		noshutdown
cpupm  enable poll-mode
cpu_deep_idle	enable
loadaverage	0.07

any suggestions on how to tweak so that my knees don't get so hot?

Jon