[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi, zones & NPIV.

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Fri Nov 30 17:12:56 UTC 2012

Hi all!

I am a storage professional, and right now I am in the process of, together with my colleagues, develop products, services, platforms and business models for our small company.

 What we want to achieve, is SAN based virtualization platforms. We allready got the SAN tech, of coarse based on oi, zfs and comstar. We mainly use Fc, but are also very interested in IB.

 We have been looking at SmartOS, but unfortunatly, they seem to be not interested in supporting external SAN storage, which is a pity, because otherwise we would have been very interested in their platform.

 So, we look back on oi, and see what we can get from that:

 What we would be very interested in, is how we could implement NPIV in zones, so that the virtual port, and it's attached LUN's would follow the zone around in the infrastructure during migration.

 I read some interesting material about this in the opensolaris documentation between 2006-2009, but then, after that, obviously, nothing...

 So, does someone on this list know something about this?

Rgrds Johan