[OpenIndiana-discuss] Preliminary Download link: Illumos based MartUX_OpenIndiana_Edition for SPARC LiveDVD (without installer)

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Tue Oct 2 13:02:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Daniel Kjar <dkjar at elmira.edu> wrote:
> hmmmm.... mine is not even seeing the disks installed on the system....

It should see your disks.
On my 2 SB2000's it sees them, too.
Just as on all other tested boxes ...

Does it help if you try devfsadm -v and then look again?

Your machine is a mystery to me.: First the X11go.sh script fails,
then it sees no disks.
This is totally unacceptable!

Did you run X11go.sh with bash's "-x_ option, as I asked last week?
How and why does the /dev/fb symlink creation fail?

I think, maybe SMF complained during boot? The "nice" thing with SMF
is, that, if it encounters whatever important or totally unimportant
tiniest problem (i.e. the DVD drive is slow and one of SMF's defined
timeouts expires), then it just stops and blocks all the defined
dependencies, until you login and fix this. You may even end up in SMF
complaining about dependency cycles, and then you have a problem.
The probability of seeing this early in boot is not zero.
Well,  "predictability"   .....    (this was SMF's major design goal)

-
 %martin bochnig
      http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/MartUX_OpenIndiana+oi_151a+SPARC+LiveDVD
      http://www.youtube.com/user/MartUXopensolaris