[OpenIndiana-discuss] [developer] Preliminary Download link: Illumos based MartUX_OpenIndiana_Edition for SPARC LiveDVD (without installer)

David Halko davidhalko at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 08:57:41 UTC 2012

Good Day Martin!

Some of us spent this evening working with your LiveDVD on a V120 with 4
Gig RAM.
- it takes about 48 minutes to boot
- we have no video display, so we use the serial console
- we figured out how to bring up ethernet interface with DHCP and an
external VNC console
- we like the nice selection of apps that were included on the desktop
- we accessed your OI-SPARC via VNC from a SunRay client hosted on a
Solaris 10 V240 - very reliable
- we will need to update scripts on the iso, to make it more useful as a
live-dvd server environment

This being said, this looks good enough to move forward with! Very
professional!

As far as an installer, Caiman is not required. With your direction, a
basic installer could be made using existing infrastructure (I see dtksh is
bundled, meaning X, CLI, and HTTP are all reasonable... I did not look for
fmli yet... a solid bug-free scripting frameworks with small footprint is
desirable.) Maybe even gdm/xdm on boot for console-less & serial-less
installs. We may be able to assist here, with your guidance.

I am wondering whether zfsdiff with snapshots may be helpful for release
management and automatic package creation. SVR4 class-action scripts could
provide for compression support. Sparse SVR4 packages could be made for
upgrades. Packages could automatically be made available over HTTP to
pkgadd -x option for a wanboot mini-root. Later, pkgadd could install
against a ZFS alternate boot environment. Perhaps zfssend from a build
environment, named by release. There is no reason this could/should not be
100% automated. Once again, we could help here.

Have you thought about a network boot from OpenBoot, maybe mounting some
NFS network drives from a Solaris 10 platform (until OI-SPARC is stable
enough to self-host)? We have some other V100's and V120's... This could
make a very nice release management environment (zfs snapshot, boot first
box, validate, package; zfs snapshot, boot second box, validate, package;
keep a few boxes always live) We would be willing to work on that, if we
could get a little guidance.

I realize everything I said above is very brief, may not be 100%
technically accurate, but I think you can see that I am excited, and there
are others ready to dig-in and bring this forward. For storage, test
systems, scripting, and automation - we can find some resources. We don't
do C, nor do we do pretty, but we do functional.

Thanks - David Halko
http://svr4.blogspot.com/
http://netmgt.blogspot.com/