[OpenIndiana-discuss] [developer] Preliminary Download link: Illumos based MartUX_OpenIndiana_Edition for SPARC LiveDVD (without installer)

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Tue Oct 2 15:19:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:38 AM, DavidHalko <davidhalko at gmail.com> wrote:

> U da man! I will be looking into testing it tomorrow on some machines. Thank you for your efforts!
>
> Honestly, I see no value of IPS under OI SPARC since I do not expect any software will ever be commercial software made available for IPS under SPARC OI since it is so buggy & a moving target.
>
> There is plenty of SVR4 Solaris 10 SPARC commercial software currently available. SVR4 packaging is also extensible without code changes. We also don't need to do pre/post install/remove scripts, if we choose not to in SVR4 packaging.
>
> Thanks,
> David Halko
> http://svr4.blogspot.com/
> http://netmgt.blogspot.com/

Hi David!

many thanks for your nice comments and +1  :)
I'm glad to get such feedback.

However, it is still only a LiveDVD and only pre-Alpha stuff.
No installer yet (and Caiman gui-install and textinstall crash early
during, it would be a very long story to tell)   ...

As for IPS I could not agree more with you.
The question is and remains, if we necessarily ___need__ IPS for anything.
>From a user-only's point of view it is already bad enough.
>From a distribution-builder's view I would not even wish my worst
enemy to experience it (ghhrr!!!).

Here only one current example: A user's T2000 runs pkg for 8 hours,
then crashes. To do a thing that would not even be necessary in the
first place in such a scenario, with SVR4-pkgadd! And this is how ugly
it is from a user's point of things. Then you do not want to imagine,
how one feels as a distribution-constructor!!
A year is nothing while fighting with IPS  ...

See the thread "pkg-discuss] gcc install?" under:

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/pkg-discuss/2012-October/thread.html

p.s. I added your SVR4 link to my footer ...

tnx && rgds,

%martin
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/MartUX_OpenIndiana+oi_151a+SPARC+LiveDVD
  http://www.youtube.com/user/MartUXopensolaris