[OpenIndiana-discuss] Useful tidbit for ZFS backup via ZFS Send

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Oct 4 13:42:36 UTC 2012

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) wrote:
> * xz is based on lzma.  Last I knew, they were still working out the bugs of the parallel implementation,

There is also the lesser-known 'lzip' (also supporting LZMA
compression) which is available in a parallel version called 'plzip'.
My own testing of 'plzip' finds that it is quite effective at
parallelizing the compression and that its CPU-performance is similar
to 'xz' when used at medium compression levels (but not at maximum
levels).

'xz' includes CPU-specific optimizations whereas 'lzip' focuses on
very clean implementation (there are C++ versions and C versions) in
about 10X less source code.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn