[OpenIndiana-discuss] Automatic reboots

Michelle Knight michelle at msknight.com
Thu Oct 11 21:52:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 01:15:00 +0400
Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru> wrote:

> 2012-10-12 0:48, Michelle Knight пишет:
> > A bit more on the ZFS version issue which I can't figure out...
> >
> > mich at jaguar:~# zpool upgrade -V 15 data
> > This system supports ZFS pool feature flags.
> >
> > Pool 'data' is already formatted using more current version '28'.
> >
> > mich at jaguar:~# zfs get version data
> > NAME  PROPERTY  VALUE    SOURCE
> > data  version   5        -
> > mich at jaguar:~#
>

> Regarding this part: there are zpool version and zfs version
> (IIRC defined for filesystem datasets, including a pool's
> root dataset which has the same name as the pool), and these
> are different concepts. I believe ZFSv5 is indeed the most
> recent one.
>
> As for sporadic reboots - did you rule out overheating
> (thermal grease dries up, radiators get clogged with dust),
> inadequate power-source (they do get old and lose output
> levels), rusty/oxydized connectors (plug things out and
> back in), and other such hardware aspects?
>
> HTH,
> //Jim

Thanks for explaining the version. That makes sense.

The thermal grease has not been in place for a 12 month yet, but it is
always a possibility.

The heatsink and fan have been blown out; along with four of the
exhaust fans.  Temperature sensor is reporting below 30 degrees and the
system is idling with no load.

I've disconnected the drives and will try to get a version of FreeNAS
running from memory stick to see if it remains stable ... in lieu of
replacing the paste.

Many thanks,

Michelle.