[OpenIndiana-discuss] Memory usage concern

Damian Wojsław damian at wojslaw.pl
Fri Oct 12 15:50:27 UTC 2012

On 10/12/2012 04:10 PM, Heinrich van Riel wrote:
> Hello everyone,

Hi

The common wisdom in Unices world is that RAM unused is RAM wasted. So
not much free RAM is not of very big concern. Part of this kernel memory
space you see consists of ZFS Adaptive Replacement Cache (ARC). You can
observe how much ARC actually takes with:
echo ::arc | mdb -k on command line.
I can't tell you much about continuus use of VirtualBox and its
stability over long periods of time, I used it with success on daily
basis for few years now, with OI (and previously OpenSolaris) being
host. I've seen no problems with stability, however I only run it for a
day and then whole system was powered down for night.

Regards

Damian Wojsław