[OpenIndiana-discuss] Memory usage concern

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Fri Oct 12 16:13:20 UTC 2012

On 12/10/2012 16:10, Heinrich van Riel wrote:

> My concern is as follow, when I 1st start the system and VMs there is 8GB
> of free memory. This number keeps decreasing by about 300MB every 10 hours.
>
> OI - 10GB max allocated to ZFS ARC (only setting change from default
> install)
> At the current rate there will be no memory free in 10 days.
>
> Am I concerned for no reason?

This can impact your other work to do on that machine severely.
However, if that is only a fileserver, ZFS will manage to keep
some memory available so that the machine will not swap if
nothing else interferes. Insofar Damians comments on unused
RAM are correct. But if you know you need space for something
else often, see my remedies for this problem in this thread:

<http://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2012-September/009788.html>

--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www-imk.fzk.de/asf/sat/grabowski/ www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php