[OpenIndiana-discuss] KVM and Xen support in OpenIndiana

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 10:25:46 UTC 2012

Lukas Laukamp wrote:
> Am 15.10.2012 11:42, schrieb Nikola M:
>> Lukas Laukamp wrote:
>>> thing. I could only help the development with testing results and so
>>> on. I think there must be found a few people who are interested in Xen
>>> Support for Illumos/OpenIndiana. So I don't know what I could do
>> It is important to know that Xen is there but needs maintance.
>>
>> But there must be some reasons Joyent ported KVM instead, so there is
>> KVM working we can use in OI
>> and also there is working Virtualbox for Solaris made by Oracle
>> programmers,
>> that works on Openindiana.
>>

> So the way would be to merge the Dom0 support from the Solaris Repos,
> try to compile it and fix eventual problems?
>
> Best Regards

No, Xen Dom0 is part of OS/Net consolidation, that is Actually SunOS
(Kernel+base system).

Oracle ditched Xen support/code from Opensolaris OS/Net , prior starting
to build it's closed source fork for Solaris11 Express and later
Solaris11 (And It probably ended up in it's closed source Oracle VM).

Illumos did not had it aether, since it also contiued to build upon
latest OS/Net available at a time and is named Illumos after replacing
many closed parts with open ones.

So code for Xen dom0 is available in Opensolaris in versions of OS/Net
prior both Illumos and S11Express.
It needs XEN kernel engineer who understand Solaris kernel internals and
Illumos, to pick it up and develop it for Illumos .. and I suppose
funding for it from interested parties.

But KVM is working for Illumos now , thanks to Joyent developers, so you
can use it.