[OpenIndiana-discuss] KVM and Xen support in OpenIndiana

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Mon Oct 15 14:10:59 UTC 2012

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012, Jonathan Adams wrote:

> We have Linux and Windows 2008 R2 servers running at different sites
> in KVM machines and it works a treat (if you have all the passthrough
> stuff on Intel chips turned on)

Is OpenIndiana's KVM usable for running a desktop OS like Windows 7
with use of the Windows GUI console (keyboard, mouse, video)?  From a
desktop usability standpoint, how would it compare with VirtualBox?

>From my experience VirtualBox provides and excellent guest desktop
experience (even works great for Netflix video streaming with Windows
7 guest) but that CPU and filesystem performance may suffer.

I have shrink-wrapped Windows 7 waiting to be installed here and I
must decide between KVM and VirtualBox.  I understand that KVM and
VirtualBox can not run simultaneously due to their use of the CPU.  It
might be possible to share a common image and switch between the two,
but the available devices might change and that would cause issues for
Windows.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn