[OpenIndiana-discuss] Boot stalls on install

Nathan Kunkee nkunkee42 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 16 02:59:41 UTC 2012

> From: DBentley at nas.edu
> To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
> Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 22:02:05 -0400
> Subject: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Boot stalls on install
>
> Hello all...
> I'm trying to boot from DVD to install Opeindiana on a Gigabyte H55M-S2V and I"m having issues. As soon as I get past the grub screen and select boot from cd I get the oracle trademark message and everything freezes up. My keyboars (regualr ps2 connection) becomes unusable and I have to hard boot.
> It's an Intell H55 express chipset and the memory is seated fiine and I've switched out sticks to ensure I don't have a RAM issue. FreeBSD seems to boot up fine so I know hardware doesn't seem to be an issue. I'd rather use Openindiana if I can help it instead of FreeBSD. Has asyone tried installing on this chipset before?

I'm not using that chipset, but as the next step, you could try booting with more logging on.

Clear out the graphics parts from grub and add the kernel options as below. 'e' allows you to edit a line. You'll want the section to look similar to below (hoping my VBox setup is similar enough):

kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -s -v -k
module$ /platform/i86pc/$ISADIR/boot_archive

then hit 'b' to boot from the modified entries. -s means single user mode; -v means verbose, and -k means kernel debugger land if something does bomb. Hopefully that may point to a driver that may be having issues or otherwise narrow down what is going on.

Hth,
Nathan