[OpenIndiana-discuss] Missing ZFS features?!

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Oct 16 14:43:54 UTC 2012

On 10/16/12 06:09 AM, Flo wrote:
> while deploying a new zfs backup script, I recognized that on solaris 11 and
> openindiana 151a7 there is the same zfs version, version 5. Is that correct?

That is a data format version for the filesystem data on disk, not a software
feature version.   You'll find the zpool versions are much farther apart than
that - but that's also a data format version, not a software feature version.

There is no single version number that covers all the ZFS feature set, and
now that ZFS has forked into multiple streams of development in the different
OS'es/distros, that's going to get worse, not better (which is why illumos ZFS
introduced feature flags instead of using monotonic version numbers that
assume all distros add all the same features in the same order).

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com