[OpenIndiana-discuss] new Firefoxes and ILOM web access

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Wed Oct 17 12:21:16 UTC 2012

On 17/10/2012 13:37, Jim Klimov wrote:
> 2012-10-17 15:27, Jeppe Toustrup wrote:
>> You are probably better of creating a blog post or page someplace on
>> the web where you describe the problem and the workaround for it, and
>> then let the search engines index that.
>

> As the best of two worlds, the workaround can be blogged on
> OI wiki user's "personal page", and would show up in search
> on the wiki as well as in internet engines.

Maybe. What I see now is a nearly empty troubleshooting section
for OI, which stems from the (maybe useful) narrow interpretation of
trouble with the operating system itself (which is more what the release
notes are suited for). There is already a lot of knowledge about specific
problems within and around OI out there, posted on someones blog,
a foreign mailing list, sporadic mailings to this or illumos' lists,
a lot of tips in comments to some IO web pages, but no page on the wikis
where such knowledge could be centralized (often simply by linking ) to
be easily found by OI users. I really hate scrolling through blogs I've
been pointed to by outdated or incomplete links and digging for the gold
in between biking tips and cooking recipes. For system administrators,
such blogs are the pest of the internet....

Good question as always: who manages such a page tree. Maybe a
user editable wiki (registered users only, of course), with a category
tree (to prevent information chaos). Outdated information should be
cleaned up or marked as such. Comment functionality to those pages
would indeed be useful.

I really do think that the OI wiki is the right place
for such a section, and not someones private pages.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski    Inst.f.Meteorology a.Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
www-imk.fzk.de/asf/sat/grabowski/ www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php