[OpenIndiana-discuss] Same networking with varied NICs

Michael Stapleton michael.stapleton at techsologic.com
Sat Oct 20 14:07:52 UTC 2012

Hi Jim,

Sounds to me like DTrace is the tool for you.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/817-6223/chp-intro/index.html

It's not something you learn in 5 minutes, but it really is worth the
effort.

IPMP does not have to be configured with test addresses. IPMP will uses
"Link based" by default if your NIC drivers support link state
notification.
The documentation really needs work... I think the documentation shows
examples of "Probe based" because it is much more difficult to configure
than "Link based".
Simply add the interfaces to the same IPMP group. Done..
But, IPMP is really about uptime, not band width. If you want to use
multiple interfaces, they all need IP addresses. They just do not have
to have "Test" addresses.

To use Aggregations, your switch and device drivers must support it.
I think your NIC drivers have to be GLDv3 compliant.

Mike