[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS remote receive

Doug Hughes doug at will.to
Tue Oct 23 12:23:37 UTC 2012

On 10/23/2012 7:52 AM, Sebastian Gabler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing a problem with zfs receive through ssh. As usually, root
> can't log on ssh; the log on users can't receive a zfs stream (rights
> problem), and pfexec is disabled on the target host (as I understand
> it is nowadays default for OI151_a...)
>
> What are the suggestions to solve this? I tried several approaches
> with sudo, and su to no avail. I had tried to enable pfexec on the
> target system, too and couldn't do it.

you can run it over any tcp transport. Do it yourself options include
using ttcp or netcat as a transport, but almost anything will do. It
requires a little bit more synchronization to do it this way since the
receiver must be running (piped into zfs recv) before the transmitter is
started or the transmitter will abort.
In the end, though, you need to run the zfs recv as root somehow. If
that's the crux of the problem and not the inability to ssh as root,
you'll have to figure out a fix to get root at least for the zfs recv
process.