[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS remote receive

Timothy Coalson tsc5yc at mst.edu
Tue Oct 23 20:13:06 UTC 2012

I set this up with pfexec, I think on 151a4, and it has survived updates
without change so far (currently working on a7), and all I had to do was
add the  "ZFS File System Management" profile to the backup user.  I did
this via the users-admin gui, I think usermod -P does the same thing, but
here is the relevant line from /etc/user_attr:

backup::::type=normal;profiles=ZFS File System
Management;roles=netadm,netcfg,root,zfssnap

I didn't need to mess with the properties on the filesystem.  I set up ssh
keys for passwordless ssh, and my incremental zfs send/receive command
looks like this (with variables replaced and logging redirection removed):

receive -vF \"<destfs>\""

Works pretty well, though I get ~70MB/s on gigabit ethernet instead of the
theoretically possible 120MB/s, and I'm not sure why (NFS gets pretty close
to 120MB/s on the same network).

Tim