[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS remote receive

Jason Matthews jason at broken.net
Tue Oct 23 22:34:35 UTC 2012

From: Michael Stapleton [mailto:michael.stapleton at techsologic.com]

> You could try to set the crypo algorithm to none if you do not
> need encryption.
>
> ssh -c none ....

That wont work with the shipped ssh. You could use netcat

target# nc -l -p 31337 | zfs recv data/path/etc

source# zfs send data/path/etc at snap | nc target 31337

that will do it without encryption.

If you want to use the shipped ssh with the least overhead consider using
arcfour. ssh -c arcfour

Also, if you are going over the WAN I strongly recommend using the HPN ssh.
I have tutorial
(https://broken.net/zfs/using-hpn-openssh-to-flee-the-roach-motel-aws/)on
how to use it. I routinely get 80 megabits/sec transferring data out of a
east coast availability zones at AWS to san Francisco.

In my view the HPN patches should just be incorporated into not only ssh,
but all network application stacks as a configuration option.

j.