[OpenIndiana-discuss] Migration to HP N40L

magnus at yonderway.com magnus at yonderway.com
Fri Oct 26 21:19:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 19:03:05 +0100, Michelle Knight <michelle at msknight.com>
wrote:

> So I would like to know what other people have experienced regarding
> the legacy USB on the N40L, and also if there are any command line
> settings that I can use (assuming that legacy USB is possible) in order
> to get the existing installation to work on the N40L please.

I suspect that you've been hoisted by your own petard with all of the
tweaks made. My N40L is running the stock BIOS. The only changes I've made:
* Delete 2GB RAM
* Install 8GB RAM
* Delete 250G HDD
* Install 4x 2TB HDD (2x Western Digital Caviar Black, 2x Western Digital
Red)

I've run three different illumos distros on this box without issue. I'm
currently running SmartOS on it from a USB stick, but I've installed
OpenIndiana on it from both USB stick and USB Bluray drive. I've also
installed OmniOS on it from USB Bluray drive.

I'd be tempted to rollback on the changes you made and methodically push
forward, one change at a time, until it breaks. The N40L out of the box
should "just work".