[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome and the future

Julius Roberts hooliowobbits at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 22:30:59 UTC 2012

On 1 November 2012 02:33,  <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote:
> This is based on the false premise that OpenIndiana is an enterprise
> desktop operating system.

+1.  There are alot of very useful desktop operating systems already,
so i see no point in OI trying to compete with them.  In business
speak OI has a sustainable competitive advantage with ZFS, zones,
dtrace, etc etc and those alone are why most people will be attracted
to OI.  Our OI servers sit in various computer rooms and we talk to
them exclusively over ssh, if it didn't feature a GUI we wouldn't
notice or care.  I wonder how many other OI users feel similarly?

--
Kind regards, Jules

<golgy> whats so wrong with plumb?
<hoolio> nothing, in itself.  it's just for me, knowing what it means
infers i cannot any longer pretend to not be a complete square when it
comes to computers
<Gryphon> I don't know that knowing anything about plumb turns you
into a nerd, but this conversation already has
<hoolio> are you calling me nerdy?
<checkers> hoolio: you know what initramfs means, AND does. You're
lost to the non-geek world already
<Gryphon> yes
<hoolio> hrm
<hoolio> goodbye cruel world.