[OpenIndiana-discuss] "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Sep 1 14:48:04 UTC 2012

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012, Robin Axelsson wrote:

> I'm fully aware of the power of the command line and it is the command line
> that really makes me like Unix based OSes (including Linux). But making OI
> look well-polished with a fancy and easy to administer web-admin GUI that
> would encourage the average-Joe to use it as a home-NAS / virtual server is
> not a bad thing. That way OI would reach a higher penetration with a larger
> user-base and most importantly; it will get _free advertising_. To some
> extent the old adage "A good product markets itself" has some truth in it.
> But it must not only be good, it has to /look/ good so that even a less
> versed person will understand how good it is.

Focusing on issues like this would be putting the cart before the
horse.  It is more important to be able to easily build everything and
incorporate updates than to have a fancy configuration GUI.  OI
popularity should come second to correct functionality and having an
organization (of volunteers and corporate entities) to sustain it.
If OI is worthy, popularity will follow, even if only from people who
already preferred Solaris.

OpenIndiana is still very young.  Successful OS distributions take
quite a few years to become significant.  It is not something which
happens in just a couple of years.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn