[OpenIndiana-discuss] making dual monitor support persistent across reboots

Marc Williams marc_sol at digisensei.info
Sat Sep 1 22:54:25 UTC 2012

On 08/26/12 05:23 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> I am running a relatively current version of OpenIndiana on x64,
> specifically using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 SE frame buffer.
>
> The OI included Nvidia X Server GUI application (Nvidia driver version
> 295.59)  does a fine job of detecting and configuring the second
> monitor, but the 2nd monitor doesn't come back up after a reboot.  I
> have to run through the Nvidia X Server setup again.
>
> The Xorg man page suggest I need a "xorg.conf" file in /etc or one of
> several other locations.

I run OI with GTX 460 and dual monitors (and before that OpenSolaris
with dual screens and FX 6200 on another machine).

Far as I know the GUI tool nvidia-settings won't outright
create the xorg.conf file as it needs to exist first I think.
Plus you need rights to update it anyway.

nvidia-xconfig can be used to create the basic xorg.conf
file which will/should be written to /etc/X11/.
If X starts up okay then run nvidia-settings as/with root/admin
privs. When you configure the monitors and whatnot you'll be
able to see what the finished xorg.conf file will look like
and then be able to save it.
That should work.

Marc

--