[OpenIndiana-discuss] PATH Environment Variable:

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 10:23:46 UTC 2012

Controlling the executable search path is quite important.   There is no "right" answer other than always use the environment variable and not a shell built in (e.g. path instead of PATH).

Scripts run by cron should always use explicit full paths. The best way to do this is to define variables at the beginning of the script and then use those later.

For example:

AWK=/bin/nawk
LS=/bin/ls

${LS} -li | ${AWK} '{print $1 ,$6 ,$10}'

There is a lot of system administration lore (e.g. sudo, RBAC) embedded in Solaris which is essential in a large system environment, but not really needed in a small one.

Fiddling w/ the root environment is frowned upon because it can have unpleasant consequences when you least want them.

Have Fun!
Reg