[OpenIndiana-discuss] "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

Dmitry Kozhinov dima at desktopfay.com
Mon Sep 3 10:51:27 UTC 2012

Open Indiana wrote:

 > I guess i sparked this discussion about the GUI.

Thanks for that. I cannot ignore GUI discussion.

 > most people that call OI "a stupid OS" are the people that only use a
GUI to do things. ;-)

+1 :)))

 > 1. Who wants to help develop OI?

I want. But unfortunately I do not have time nor skills. Answering only
to reflect (common?) sad situation.

 > 2. What skills do you (the voter) have that can help OI?

Development for Windows skills. Doubt it can help.

 > 3. What kind of software do you want to have running on OI?

Apache - already running.
vsftpd - running on my server, though installed from 3rd party repository.
Lazarus - dreaming to try, but have no time/skills to install it on one
of my OpenIndiana machines.

 > 4. What kind of hardware/drivers do you want to have running on OI?

None currently, besides those which are already running. Hardware?
Network cards.
But when I will change my server hardware... I afraid I will need more
drivers.

 > 5. Have you ever created a "HOWTO" for OI? If "YES" where is it?

Have collected some other's HOWTO for personal use.

 > 6. Have you ever found a useful "HOWTO" for OI? If "YES" where is it?

Yes. E.g. how to setup a static IP address. Cannot remember the source.
Storing on my PC.

 > 7. Have you ever created a useful "software package" for OI? If "YES"
where is it?

I wish I could...

 > 8. Do you use OI in a commercial environment?

Production environment (web server). Not commercial though.