[OpenIndiana-discuss] "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 4 15:01:52 UTC 2012

Is it really necessary to convince the freeNAS people to change?

Mark Creamer's response to the thread, "Multiple Windows servers and a OI NAS, how to get there" seems to point to a simpler solution.

Offer as an install time option a configuration of OI w/ ZFS as a file server in a mixed MacOS, Windows & *nix environment.

That as an "out of box" packaged solution ought to generate a good bit of interest in OI/Illumos.  I don't do Windows, but from what I understand, everything is already available if you know how to configure it.

That would leave just a good HCL as an obstacle to wider use of OI.  Some judicious choices of new SATA & SAS drivers would ease much of the hardware problems.  Some visible momentum would help persuade hardware vendors to support the development of drivers for OI/Illumos.

Have Fun!
Reg