[OpenIndiana-discuss] "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

magnus at yonderway.com magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Sep 4 15:17:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:01:52 -0700 (PDT), Reginald Beardsley
<pulaskite at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Offer as an install time option a configuration of OI w/ ZFS as a file
> server in a mixed MacOS, Windows & *nix environment.

That will require a better groomed Netatalk package & SMF manifest. Right
now that's a slightly messy thing to set up.

Administration right now between NFS, SMB, AFP requires a mix of command
line expertise. To be at all competitive with FreeNAS would demand some
consideration of a management interface.

> That as an "out of box" packaged solution ought to generate a good bit of
> interest in OI/Illumos.  I don't do Windows, but from what I understand,
> everything is already available if you know how to configure it.

Most of the file sharing goodies come free with ZFS, except for AFP (would
make a dandy ZFS feature, though!)

> That would leave just a good HCL as an obstacle to wider use of OI.

The issues with modern/pervasive 4K sector disks on Illumos may also stifle
adoption.