[OpenIndiana-discuss] [discuss] SPARC and Illumos

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Tue Sep 4 15:11:18 UTC 2012

I know somebody is working on it and said they might have something by
the end of August so It may be any day now we will have a functioning
sparc version of OI.

On 09/ 4/12 03:42 AM, DavidHalko wrote:
> Hello All!!!
>
> I was just wondering how this is coming along.
>
> I would like to see OI actually running! (it would not work on my last couple of laptops, so I have been unable to contribute much outside of wikipedia & blog updates.)
>
> I may be able to test on:
> - V100
> - V120
> - V240
> - Ultra60
>
> Are we close to the point where OI will boot under SPARC?
>
> I have some commercial SPARC apps I want to try, as well.
>
> This could be the first step to getting commercial isv support on Illumos, if the rest of the userland did not change too much!
>
> Just need a boot cd iso!
>
> Thanks, Dave
>
>> From: ?????? ?????? (Martin Bochnig) <martin at martux.org>
>> Date: Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM
>> Subject: Re: [discuss] SPARC and Illumos
>> To: discuss at lists.illumos.org
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Brad Walker <bwalker at musings.com> wrote:
>>> Recently there was some talk about SPARC compatibility.
>>>
>>> I would like to make sure that Illumos continues to have proper SPARC
>>> compatibility and would like to volunteer to make this happen.
>>>
>>> I'm a long time Sun guy. When I lived in Silicon Valley, I had a 4/280
>>> with a Kennedy tape drive and a couple of SMD drives. I just couldn't
>>> keep dragging it around when I moved and so it is now been disposed
>>> of. Plus, the power bill was getting pretty large.
>>>
>>> Currently I have an Ultra 10, Sunblade 1000, Sunblade 2500, and a
>>> T2000. The Sunblade 2500 is my main home machine. When I need to use a
>>> PC, I run SunPCI3. So far this has served me well over the years. The
>>> T2000 is a new addition to the family and would like to retire the
>>> Sunblade 2500 as I migrate over to the T2000.
>>>
>>> So I guess you can say, that I've got a few machines that we can use.
>>>
>>> But, my question is: How do I get started with Illumos?
>>>
>>> Ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated.
>>>
>>> -brad w.
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this project is still in its mysterious darkroom phase, which ends on
>> August 31st.
>>>  From then on it enters its o_p_e_n(indiana) phase.
>> And everybody is happily welcome to contribute.
>>
>> I canceled my holidays and work on it 12 to 18 hours every weekday and weekend.
>> And I'm now sure, that the promised release date of August (for the
>> initial demo) can be met.
>>
>> At the current moment it would be contra-productive to work in a team,
>> as the chatting, explaining and talking would prevent us from going
>> ahead.
>>
>> Everybody has a different approach of working, but I hope you
>> understand that this is mine.
>> So please wait until August 31st, which is in 2 weeks, and therefore
>> in just a few felt "moments".
>> Time flies .......
>>
>> And to keep you loyal SPARC fellows 2 weeks more patient, here is some
> [...]

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson