[OpenIndiana-discuss] Illumos as a NAS

magnus at yonderway.com magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Sep 4 21:37:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 15:26:31 -0600, finid at linuxbsdos.com wrote:

> My response is not necessarily specific to this thread, but has any
> body looked at what OmniOs guys are doing, and see if there is a
> possibility of pooling resources.

So there is a sort of scope to OmniOS where I would think that the answer
to that would be that OmniOS already does all of the things it's going to
want to do to support being used as a NAS, and there are some docs on how
to set up a third party package repo to add the rest of the prereqs onto
it.

The only place where I think OmniOS might benefit heavily from some
collaboration is with its installer, and possibly-maybe OI and OmniOS could
mutually benefit from that.

But with one of the stated goals of OmniOS being: "A simple and supported
environment for managing custom repositories with your software packages",
I think it would be more consistent with that distro's vision to figure out
how to bolt on the NAS functionality as third party packages.

Such an effort could be of mutual benefit to OI, potentially, if the
packages are made with due care.