[OpenIndiana-discuss] "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Sep 6 01:44:06 UTC 2012

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012, Jan Owoc wrote:

> I don't think the drive's model number or revision will change with a
> system update. I don't know whether it detects sector size or simply
> uses ashift=12 always (using 4k data sectors on a 512b drive doesn't
> exactly have downsides). Either way it shouldn't require any manual

There is a downside to using 4k sectors on 512b drives.  Quite a lot
more space may be wasted because zfs's smallest consumed data size
(e.g. for metadata) is one sector.  At least two copies are made of
any metadata.  If you use smaller zfs blocks (than the default 128k)
and/or a large number of files, you will be wondering what happened to
your disk space.

For huge drives this is not much of an issue.  It is definitely an
issue for SSDs, which usually offer much less space per drive.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn