[OpenIndiana-discuss] isc-dhcp client

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Thu Sep 6 13:38:26 UTC 2012

Jon,

Oracle is deprecating the Sun dhcp server and replacing it with ISC
based upon what I've been reading. It's one of the reasons that Oracle
pushed changes to the ISC source.  Regardless, I have no reason to
replace the server since it has everything I need in a dhcp server.
Others don't agree.

That said, the Oracle client is missing IPV6 prefix delegation which is
a hole for me and will become for more people that have ISPs that use
this feature to assign blocks of ipv6 IPs.  Without this, you will only
get a single IP address from these ISPs. Since ipv6 does not support NAT
there is no alternative if you want to use OpenIndiana as a
firewall/router.  There are firewall/router boxes that do perform this
function. DD-WRT and similar do have an implementation but it is very buggy.

I currently get around this by using an ipv6 over ipv4 tunnel to HE, but
this not a good final solution.

Gary