[OpenIndiana-discuss] isc-dhcp client

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 6 13:42:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 08:51:58PM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2012, Gary Gendel wrote:
>
> >Anyone know if there is a fundamental reason why we can't
> >wholesale replace the Sun/Oracle dhcp client with the ISC one?  If
> >we don't get any updates downstream from Oracle we will never get
> >features like ipv6 prefix delegation.  This feature is becoming
> >important as some big ISPs (i.e. Comcast) are using this to
> >delegate IPV6 blocks to their business/personal customers.
> >
> >If the answer is that I should be able to replace it, the next
> >question is if anyone has done this before and how difficult this
> >would be to do.
>
> I assume you are talking about the client and not the server?  If
> you are talking about the client, then it seems possible to do this
> via an upgrade.

The document accompanying the ISC DHCP product states that their
client does not work on Solaris.  It recommends using the native
client instead.  I'm sure it could be made to work, but somebody would
have to take on this project.  To initiate it, please file a bug
report.

> If you are talking about the server, unless the ISC version is
> truely a drop-in replacement, it would be best to make it an add-on
> package using different directories so that it is possible to
> migrate from one to the other and not crater users networks due to
> an update.  As Gordon Ross mentions, the Sun dhcp server has nice
> integration with a dhcpmgr GUI (which I use under Solaris 10).

Oracle Solaris 11 includes two DHCP servers, with a negative
dependancy so that you can't enable both of them at the same time.
Here's how they look:

          Name: service/network/dhcp
                Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol to provide network
                configuration parameters to BOOTP/DHCP clients.
      Category: System/Services
         State: Installed
     Publisher: solaris
       Version: 0.5.11
 Build Release: 5.11
        Branch: 0.175.0.0.0.2.1
Packaging Date: October 19, 2011 06:26:00 AM
          Size: 615.87 kB
          FMRI: pkg://solaris/service/network/dhcp@0.5.11,5.11-0.175.0.0.0.2.1:20111019T062600Z
          Name: service/network/dhcp/isc-dhcp
                Host Configuration Protocols for connection to a local network.
                This package includes the ISC DHCP server, relay agent and the
                omshell tool.
      Category: System/Services
         State: Installed
     Publisher: solaris
       Version: 4.1
 Build Release: 5.11
        Branch: 0.175.0.0.0.2.537
Packaging Date: October 19, 2011 11:35:53 AM
          Size: 7.52 MB
          FMRI: pkg://solaris/service/network/dhcp/isc-dhcp@4.1,5.11-0.175.0.0.0.2.537:20111019T113553Z

The ISC DHCP server is in OI userland:

    https://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/oracle/userland-gate/file/tip/components