[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to help if you are not developer: Re: "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Sep 11 19:22:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Milan Jurik wrote:

> And probably other things which do not come to my mind just now.
> Documentation was always good thing in Solaris, we had team of dedicated
> people working on it. Do you think it is good area for you?

It would be useful to build up a comparison matrix of top packages in
the Debian Popularity Contest (http://popcon.debian.org/) and compare
these packages to the ones that OpenIndiana currently offers to make
sure that OpenIndiana is not ignoring popular packages which might
easily compile and be useful on OpenIndiana.

Also useful to look at each package that OpenIndiana currently offers
and see how much out of date it is and what newer release version the
package could be updated to to without causing harm (e.g. can it work
with libraries that OpenIndiana already provides).

Lastly, the CVEs (security alerts) applicable to OpenIndiana should be
collected so that it can be known which applications have important
security issues.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn