[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to help if you are not developer: Re: "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

Michael Schuster michaelsprivate at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 05:22:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2012, Milan Jurik wrote:
>>

>> And probably other things which do not come to my mind just now.
>> Documentation was always good thing in Solaris, we had team of dedicated
>> people working on it. Do you think it is good area for you?
>

> It would be useful to build up a comparison matrix of top packages in the
> Debian Popularity Contest (http://popcon.debian.org/) and compare these
> packages to the ones that OpenIndiana currently offers to make sure that
> OpenIndiana is not ignoring popular packages which might easily compile and
> be useful on OpenIndiana.
>
> Also useful to look at each package that OpenIndiana currently offers and
> see how much out of date it is and what newer release version the package
> could be updated to to without causing harm (e.g. can it work with libraries
> that OpenIndiana already provides).
>
> Lastly, the CVEs (security alerts) applicable to OpenIndiana should be
> collected so that it can be known which applications have important security
> issues.

something else that comes to mind where a non-programmer can help:

Testing. While I'm by no means an expert in this subject, I can think
of: installation tests (which HW? how long? are the results as
expected), feature tests (does SW foo do what it's supposed to do),
compatibility (does package bar actually work on OI as advertised? how
does it perform) - I think once you get into it, you'll find more than
enough to keep you and others busy.

cheers
Michael
--