[OpenIndiana-discuss] Current ZFS Backup projects (OpenIndiana-discuss Digest, Vol 26, Issue 34)

Ong Yu-Phing ong.yu.phing at group.ong-ong.com
Wed Sep 12 02:05:08 UTC 2012

Jim, I assume you are referring to this:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/rsync+daemon+service+on+OpenIndiana, thanks!

My concern is that typically rsync will take quite a while to traverse a
large set of files before sending only changed files; a classic example
is backing up say 1TB of maildir emails, it may take 4+ hours, and you
now have to deal with a situation where your midnight backup is really a
"somewhere between midnight and 4am" backup.  And of course, if you want
to take snapshots/backups of comstar volumes, rsync isn't quite the
right fit.

On the other hand, a zfs snapshot gives an almost-at-the-time backup
(give or take a few seconds), versus the aforementioned rsync.  The zfs
snapshot can then be sent off-site, independent of the backup activity.

However, having used zetaback, warmer, as well as other zfs scripts,
what I've noticed so far is that sometimes, the snapshot send/receive
"hangs" (for want of a better word), then the other automated, scheduled
jobs then queue and "hang" behind the first (since they tend to be
incremental).

If anybody has encountered and found a solution or even a way to
troubleshoot why that particular job "hangs", I'd appreciate any feedback!

Phing