[OpenIndiana-discuss] XStreamOS distro available

Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz jose.marcio.mc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 19:08:59 UTC 2012

Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
> Hi, sure boot environments are there, inside illumos kernel.
> About networked installtion, probably this is a different thing.
> If I well remember, there was some kind of software you may add to Solaris 10 to make it a
> network installation server, do you think it's still available and usable with illumos?

Well, my 2 cents,

I haven't yet looked at your distribution, but I'll surely do.

What I expect from a Illumos distribution is something like a subset of openindiana.

I'm a SunOS user for almost 20 years. We use it for infrastructure (DNS, mail, DHCP, LDAP, web ...) servers. We usually
compile ourselves these applications (sendmail, bind, apache, php, mysql, ... and even gcc), so we need just a little
more than a nude OS.

Sometimes it may be hard to define what we can compile what what we rely on. Mainly on libraries. We can rely on stable
(or quite stable libraries) such as libxml and so, but we use a home compiled version of openssl, as it's frequently
updated after security vulnerabilities.

A network installation server is near a must. There were jumpstart and AI. When you have some dozen of servers to
install, an automated way to install from network is a MUST, in order to have homogeneous installations.

A GUI installer is a plus for me, but a must for people having to install just a hand of physical computers.

A desktop ??? Almost all current servers (e.g. PowerEdge line of Dell servers) have a graphics card. I don't need to run
office or user applications, but it's a good idea to have a windowing environment to run some terminal windows on the
console when you have problems which you can't solve with remote access. Just a way to have multiple terminal windows is
enough. A gnome environnment without office applications is a plus, but not necessary.

Well, this are my needs. Other people may surely think differently,

Best regards,