[OpenIndiana-discuss] SPARC-OpenIndiana Screenshots

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Sep 24 12:29:04 UTC 2012

2012-09-10 18:33, Gary Gendel wrote:
> I've got an enterprise 450 (Sparc II), with a PGX graphics card and a
> bum HME nic so I use a fiberchannel card currently running Solaris 10
> using zfs root.  I'll pitch in to test openindiana if I can create a
> separate BE rather than blow Solaris 10 away (which I actually use to
> build and test products for my company).  I do have some extra disks
> that I can swap with the Solaris boot disks if needed.

This coexistance ought to be doable. I have a (x86_64) server
initially installed as OpenSolaris SXCE builds in the nineties,
currently at snv_117, and I've just made a BE rootfs for OI in
the common root pool (of an old ZFS version), and copied over
the files from LiveCD with some manual work to turn this into
a working system, as I detailed in the OI wiki:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+Manual+installation+of+OpenIndiana+from+LiveCD+media

On this particular box I intended to complete the migration of
the OS from SXCE to OI, so I had some fun importing and merging
the /dev, /devices and many /etc/* components so that the final
environment (networking setup with CrossBow nets, HDD numbering)
would seem similar to the old OS, and for the most part this
just worked - but the project is on hold at the moment, because
migrating the local zones was not such a "trivial" operation as
changing the global zone OS ;)

Still, regarding coexistance of Solaris, SXCE and OI on the
same rpool - this should be possible as long as you can avoid
the installation wizards which wipe disks and make new pools.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov