[OpenIndiana-discuss] failed upgrade from OpenSolaris to OpenIndiana

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Sep 25 12:03:03 UTC 2012

2012-09-25 11:15, baldyeti wrote:
> Hello, I've tried following the instructions from the wiki:
> <http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Upgrading+from+OpenSolaris>
> The thing is I have a smallish (6GB) root FS, and ran out of
> space midway through the first step (upgrading from OS2009.06
> to snv_134).
>
> Could someone help me
> *) reclaim the disk space that got eaten by downloaded packages
> (hos to purge these?)

Check in /var/pkg(/tmp), and note that clones or rather origin
snapshots of rootfs might reference these unpurged files forever.

> *) perhaps perform the upgrade piecemeal (e.g by subsystem or
> package groups instead of all at once)
>
> Is OI supposed to run wherever OS did? Then my HW should be
> supported and it might be simpler to install the latest OI ISO?

Maybe; AFAIK the latest ISO (oi_151a5) is not the latest release
(oi_151a6), but after you get it installed it should not be hard
to update the working OS.

You can boot the LiveCD/LiveUSB to check if your HW is still
supported - there may have been some drivers that were 3rd-party
and/or otherwise proprietary and not published by Sun, or that
became outdated and excluded from illumos-gate.

The main question is: how much of your old OS do you need to
retain and migrate? If nothing, then a fresh install should be
better (although likely to a bigger rpool, if possible).

HTH,
//Jim Klimov