[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris cp problems

Rob McMahon RobMcMahonCV at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 14:11:54 UTC 2012

On 25/09/2012 14:52, Jim Klimov wrote:
> 2012-09-24 17:42, Magnus пишет:
>>
>> On Sep 24, 2012, at 6:09 AM, Sebastian Gabler wrote:
>>>

>>> PS: I am using the Solaris cp command to have an easy way to
>>> preserve file attributes moving a share from one pool to the other
>>> of my CIFS server.
>>
>> rsync would do a better job of that generally speaking.
>
> No it won't, if we're speaking about ACLs and extended attributes
> which rsync AFAIK does not know about. In this case you might be
> better served by Sun versions of find and cpio, see examples in
> the cpio manpage.
> //Jim

I think it depends on your rsync :-)

 > rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.9  protocol version 30
 > man rsync
       -A, --acls                  preserve ACLs (implies -p)
       -X, --xattrs                preserve extended attributes

The standard one with Solaris 11 seems to do ACLs but not xattrs:

 > /bin/rsync --help
rsync  version 3.0.8  protocol version 30
Capabilities:
     64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
     socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
     append, ACLs, no xattrs, iconv, symtimes

Rob

--
E-Mail:	Rob.McMahon at warwick.ac.uk		PHONE:  +44 24 7652 3037
Rob McMahon, IT Services, Warwick University, Coventry, CV4 7AL, England