[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mitigating the performance impact of scrub

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Thu Sep 27 19:20:45 UTC 2012

I see the same on my file server when I scrub the home pool.  I can't do
it when users are on as it slows down quite a bit.  That is just the
file server, the users are running off a devoted 8 processor machine
with 32gb of ram, the file server just serves them their home folders
but the I/O must be considerably slowed for requests from the users.
Openoffice and firefox and rhythmbox, all of them get hit hard during a
scrub so I assume it's anything that is asking the fileserver for disk
access (nfs).

On 09/27/12 02:51 PM, Reginald Beardsley wrote:
> Where would I find information about the kernel level tunable parameters?  Are there specific parameters you have in mind?
>
> What I'm seeing is very slow loads of  OpenOffice.  It's certainly not quick under the best of circumstances, but this was particularly slow.  I just needed to read a bunch of 5-6 MB .xls files and export them as .csv files.
>
> Reg

Dr. Daniel Kjar
Assistant Professor of Biology
Division of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Elmira College
1 Park Place
Elmira, NY 14901
607-735-1826
http://faculty.elmira.edu/dkjar

"...humans send their young men to war; ants send their old ladies"
	-E. O. Wilson