[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mitigating the performance impact of scrub

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 00:15:47 UTC 2012

--- On Thu, 9/27/12, Richard Elling <richard.elling at richardelling.com> wrote:

> > zfs_scrub_delay = 100
>
> a bit extreme, but probably ok
>
> > zfs_scan_idle = 1000
>
> no, you'll want to make this smaller.

OK, Thanks.

> Weekly scrubs are a bit extreme. Is your hardware unreliable
> enough that you need
> to scrub weekly?

No reliability problems except for a 3 TB drive scratch drive that failed.  I only discovered that when I was forced to reboot after a long power failure. Both Sol 10 U8 and OI 151 have endured several power losses due to bad UPS  w/o a hiccup.

This is new territory. I've never had the ability to check the disk integrity before.  So what is a sensible scrub schedule?  Monthly?  System runs 24x7 unless I lose power or a particularly big thunderstorm is coming through in which case I'll shut down and disconnect the cables.  It's on a UPS, but I'm on a hill in a bunch of tall trees, so it can get pretty dramatic.  A few days ago I lost 2 fluorescent light fixtures in my shop and Mom lost a cordless phone.

Reg