[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mitigating the performance impact of scrub

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 12:36:54 UTC 2012

> I had to tune the other way to speed them up... Now
> resilvers and scrubs
> complete in a few hours.
>
> https://broken.net/uncategorized/zfs-performance-tuning-for-scrubs-and-resil
> vers/

I saw your blog.  Nicely done.

Not sure I see an effective difference between a scrub that is run quickly once a month and a scrub that runs for a month w/ little performance impact on other usage.  The interval between checks is the same.  Scrubbing seems to me a perfect idle loop job.

Of course, faster resilvers are important if losing another drive will cause data loss.  I'll see if I can get the scrubs down to under 6 hours in which case I can setup a monthly scrub w/ cron.

You're at the opposite end of the spectrum from me.  I have infrequent batch jobs which take 8-12 hours to complete.  At least they did last time.  I'll have much more data on the next set of runs so it may take a lot longer this time.  Probably time to parallelize the jobs.

Reg