[OpenIndiana-discuss] Failure to zfs destroy - after interrupting zfs receive

Edward Ned Harvey (openindiana) openindiana at nedharvey.com
Fri Sep 28 16:32:45 UTC 2012

Formerly, if you interrupted a zfs receive, it would leave a clone with a % in its name, and you could find it via "zdb -d" and then you could destroy the clone, and then you could destroy the filesystem you had interrupted receiving.

That was considered a bug, and it was fixed, I think by Sun.  If the lingering clone was discovered laying around, zfs would automatically destroy it.  But now I'm encountering a new version of the same problem...

Unfortunately, now I have a filesystem where "zfs receive" was interrupted, and I can't destroy the filesystem or the snapshot of the filesystem on the receiving side.

sudo zfs destroy -R tank/Downloads
cannot destroy 'tank/Downloads at zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-08-31-17h54': dataset already exists

sudo zfs destroy -R tank/Downloads at zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-08-31-17h54
cannot destroy snapshot tank/Downloads at zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-08-31-17h54: snapshot is cloned

sudo zfs list -t all | grep Downloads
tank/Downloads
tank/Downloads at zfs-auto-snap_hourly-2012-08-31-17h54

sudo zdb -d tank/Downloads
Dataset tank/Downloads [ZPL], ID 139, cr_txg 31408, 3.91G, 30 objects
(Notice, I don't get any clones listed.)

I'm running openindiana 151.1.6 (the latest, fully patched a couple of weeks ago.)