[OpenIndiana-discuss] Seagate 3000GB Drive only shows 746GB

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Sep 28 21:07:37 UTC 2012

2012-09-28 15:06, Rainer Heilke wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I've connected a Seagate 3000GB HDD to my OpenIndiana oi_151.1.6 X86
> server. But when I try to use it, only 746GB show.

I've seen similar with an Ultrastar 3Tb on SXCE snv_117,
but it was seen full-size by parted on oi_151a* livecd.
I then labeled it with GPT table as a 2.75Tb + 250Gb
partitioned disk (that layout was needed for my quest),
and upon reboot into the installed old SXCE it saw and
accepted the disk sizes written into the GPT label.

So: I have no idea why modern OI fails to see the disk
size, but it is likely that if you get any OS to see it
as 3Tb, you can label it as such and OI should accept it.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov